Posting this ride for this Saturday from Harry Riggs. Should be a good ride if the weather holds out.
Saturday 24th September - Riding Izu (Mishima to Shimoda)
Meet at 10:00 a.m. Place: Mishima Station
Ride from Mishima station down the Izu Peninsula to Shimoda.
Distance: Approx. 132 km with Elevation of about 3,000 meters. Speed: 20-25 km (moderate to slow)
Difficulties: four climbs rated at level 5, and about 8 tunnels, mostly short. This ride is for intermediate and advanced riders.
Due to the vagaries of weather, this ride will commence RAIN OR SHINE. Unless there’s a typhoon over Izu.
Highlights: In good weather, much of this ride offers a view of Mt. Fuji across a beautiful bay. Climbs are rewarded with cliff-top views of the pacific and small rocks/islands offshore. Stunning rice fields, decent food along the way and sufficient combine access make this ride reasonable safe and comfortable. Train back to Tokyo from Shimoda is the tourist car, with side-facing seats and tables for your food and beverage of choice while watching the ocean go past.
You will enjoy this ride if:
- You are confident on a bike (no beginners due to the duration.)
- You bring positivity and want to see beautiful sights!
- You think the rewards of beautiful sea views and Mt. Fuji outweigh the brief pain of a few nasty hills and the inconvenience of some tunnels.
- You can bring a spare tube or two, money for food and beverage. (Ride leader brings good pump, tire levers, map and phone.)
- You can bring at least 1 light, and preferably a red taillight as well for safety.
Bonus: The last 10-15k are all downhill and we can take it fast depending upon road conditions.
Meeting Place is at Mishima at 10:00am. Train Options: 1 costs ¥1,300 and the other is ¥3,640 (Odakyu line from Seijo-Gakuenmae).
Also note Mishima is a JR Station which also has a Kodama Shinkansen stop, making it accessible from Tokyo, Shinagawa, and Yokohama Stations.
If you are interested in joining please post on here so we can coordinate a group for traveling to Mishima Station. Of course you can travel solo there as well.