Yeah! Yesterday I made the leap to tubeless. Many thanks to Tim at GS Astuto!
For the switch I decided to downgrade from my Compass Babyshoe Pass EL tires (BSP EL) to the standard (non-Extralight) version because the EL sidewalls are really thin, which makes them more vulnerable to cuts and also requires higher minimal pressure to keep them from deforming when cornering. The switch-over was relatively unproblematic.
First we removed the tires, tubes (Schwalbe) and rim tape (Tioga). Then Tim installed the Effetto Mariposa Caffélatex tubeless tape and tubeless valve set and mounted the tires. As expected the beads would not seat with a floor pump alone, the air would simply escape without popping the tire if there was no sealant.
Tim removed the valve core and injected 50 ml of Caffélatex sealant into the tire and reinstalled the valve core. After that he hooked up a can of Caffélatex Espresso to the valve and started spraying from the can. These cans rapidly fill the tube with latex foam, providing sealant and gas at the same time. The tire started bleeding foam around the beads which he smeared around to help seal. After the 75 ml can was used up, I switched to the floor pump and started pumping like mad.
On the first tire we inflated, the bead popped into place from the spray can alone. While it still foamed it finally sealed after some manual pumping. I inflated the tire up to 60 psi, the maximum permitted for tubeless use. On the second tire I could not keep up with pumping because by then my arms were too exhausted. Tim took over and finished the job. We spun the wheels around vertically and horizontally to distribute the sealant and to expose the sidewalls to it.
I was glad to see that both tires held their pressure, without leaks. Soon after that I rode home 10 km without any problems. I left the tires inflated at the maximum pressure over night to help seal the tires. Today I'll drop the pressure to something more comfortable and appropriate for everyday use.
As for just getting the tire on to the rim, it was really much easier to install without tube than with tube. However, for a major puncture or tire damage that the sealant won't take care of on its own, I will still have to install a tube since installing a spare tire tubeless is simply not practical by the roadside i.e. without access to a compressor, pressurized sealant cans or sufficient CO2.
I am curious how the tubeless standard casing BSP will compare speed-wise and comfort-wise to the BSP EL set up with tubes, my previous configuration. I will find out soon